After BEBHS: Monkey

 
A note from Monkey's mom:

I saw you asked for adoption updates, and I thought I'd send an update on little Monkey.  He came to me as a foster after the shelter fire two years ago and he is my little Valentine, I officially adopted him on Feb 14, 2011.  I believe that makes me a foster failure. 

He is more dog than cat, bounding to the front door when the doorbell rings. He demands love and attention from all comers, whether they are old friends or plumbers. They are always rewarded with floppy Monkey, a distinctly unique Monkey move that involves dramatically flopping over on his back and wiggling ecstatically.  In fact, any time Monkey is ridiculously happy floppy Monkey puts in an appearance.  Sometimes once is not enough, and shortly after a satisfying wriggle, he'll pop up and flop again.  I've watched him do five straight floppy Monkeys in a row. Tragically, it remains an elusive move yet to be caught on tape.

He wears a collar from unresolved allergies but with regular cyclosporine he's far less itchy than he used to be.  The collar helps suppress the need to pull his fur out so I mostly leave it on.  It bothers me far more than it does him.  Aside from the collar, you'd never know he had any medical issues at all.  He has a rare (for cats) low thyroid condition and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Despite all the scary medical stuff, he has boundles energy and chases his favorite toy, Sir Squidgely (the second), relentlessly.  Monkey doesn't know this but I have Sir Squidgely III, IV, and V waiting in the wings.

He has full run of the backyard to play though he's not allowed beyond and he's hemmed in by 6 foot fencing which he can't get over.  He seems mostly content with this situation though lately I find him pining by the back fence for Fluffy, the neighbor's cat, who is easily three times his size.  They try to touch noses through the fence.  Fluffy is a  tough old SF alley cat.  Her first response to Monkey was to hiss and growl, but Monkey is winning her over with his persistent love. I don't believe Monkey has a mean bone in his body.  Though he does stalk birds, bees, and gophers, he's really bad at it, thank goodness.  I don't think he actually wants to catch anything.  Even catching Sir Squidgely, is more of a catch and release scenario.  

Monkey sends his love!
 




 
 
 
----------------
After BEBHS is a weekly post where we will feature notes and photos from animals rescued by BEBHS and adopted into their forever homes.  If you've adopted a pet from us, we would love to hear from you! Please send update and photos to ksmitley@berkeleyhumane.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment