After BEBHS: Sugar Pine


A note from Sugar Pine's mom:
 
I adopted my orange cat Sugar Pine from the Berkeley Humane Society on July 4th of 2009.  Originally, Sugar Pine's name was "Jack"  he had a damaged right eye and was on the larger side...  Since adopting Sugar he has become my everything; in many ways he is my best friend. 
 
 I was nervous when I first got him as I had never owned a pet on my own and I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to care for him appropriately.  I often took him to my Mom's house when I had dinner there so he wouldn't be alone.  I must admit that in these first couple months I wondered if I had made a mistake in adopting him.  Was he happy?  Was I gone too much because of school?  
 
On one of these outings at my Mom's he snuck out the front door and disappeared.  I became frantic when I realized that he wasn't under the bed or hiding in the yard.  I quickly made up missing cat posters and put them all over the neighborhood, I was sick with worry and couldn't stop crying. It was during this awful time that I realized how right we were as a pair and how much I needed Sugar Pine in my life.
 
 Two days later I got a call from a woman who said a one eyed fat orange cat was in her yard who she believed to be Sugar.  I ran over to her house and there in her driveway lay Sugar Pine covered in sap and some kind of motor oil; I was ecstatic.  Ever since I have realized how much he means to me.  He curls up in bed with me every night and frequently lies on his back and stares at me to get attention.When he is mad for any number of reasons he takes one to three socks out of my hamper and places them in the middle of my front hallway.  
 
Everyone loves Sugar and marvels at his enormous personality (and size.) I can't imagine my life without this amazing cat.  I have often wondered where he came from and what the beginning of his life was like.  Thank you so much for bringing this wonderful creature into my life, he is absolutely amazing...



                                                      Sugar Pine in his attention-grabbing pose.

 
----------------
After BEBHS is a weekly post where we will feature notes and photos from animals rescued by BEBHS and adopted into their forever homes.  If you've adopted a pet from us, we would love to hear from you! Please send update and photos to ksmitley@berkeleyhumane.org.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment